Saturday, January 30, 2016

鄧麗君, 祝你生日快樂


In my mom’s old camera, there exists old footage of middle school-aged me practicing for “Chinese School Idol,” which is what exactly what it sounds like - an American Idol-like competition at my Chinese school.  

As most other American kids at that day and age, I didn’t have any clue what pop culture was like outside of the U.S. Consequently, you can imagine picking out a good song in Mandarin would be difficult. My only resources for Chinese and Taiwanese media were my parents. And so, without much choice, I had to completely rely on them. They immediately pointed me to Teresa Teng.

I combed through a Teresa Teng CD to listen to my options, and was floored. Her pure voice filled my ears with words I couldn’t quite understand yet, but her delicate vibrato and melodies evoked feelings of longing and romance. I felt just as entranced by her as my parents probably were. For my first year doing “Chinese School Idol,” my teacher picked “Xiao Cheng Gu Shi” for my sister and I.  For my second year, I chose the song myself - "Yuan Xiang Ren."


"Yuan Xiang Ren" - the winning song

I forgot about Teresa Teng until recently, when I felt nostalgic and clicked on her Spotify page. Again, the same emotions hit me as they did when I first listened to her music. This time, however, I was curious to learn about Teresa Teng as more than just a really famous Taiwanese singer.

Born in Taiwan in 1953, Teng realized her passion for singing at a young age and actively pursued it as a career. She received a record contract in her teens, and eventually gained popularity in many other Asian countries, going so far as recording songs in not only Mandarin, but also Taiwanese Hokkien, Cantonese, Indonesian, Japanese, and English.

Although the People’s Republic of China attempted to ban her music during the 1980’s, deeming it too sensual, the black market enabled her to become a national superstar nonetheless; villagers in the remote countryside were even fans. The Chinese bestowed Teng the nickname “Little Deng,” as she shared the last name (and large influence) of China’s then-paramount leader - Deng Xiaoping.

Despite her huge Chinese audience, Teng never performed in the country and declined every invitation to do so. During the 1989 Tiananmen student protests, Teng performed in Paris to show her support for the students.

As a Taiwanese pop star, linguist, and even activist, I consider Teng to be a remarkable person, and can be a role model for not only Asian women, but for young women everywhere.  

Happy (Belated) Birthday, Teresa Teng. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment